Publication date: 06/16/2020
Kindle Unlimited: No
A new release in one of my all-time favorite paranormal romance series EVER? Yes, please!!
Plot Overview: Immortal Guardian Nick is hot for single mom next door, Kayla. Kayla has an accident and Nick uses his supernatural contacts to save her life. She handles finding out Nick is immortal pretty well...but as is law in paranormal Romancelandia, that knowledge puts her in danger.
Trope bingo: fated mates (kinda), older woman/younger man (sort of...he's MUCH older, but when they meet, she thinks he's younger), single mom, neighbors.
I'm not going to mince words. I ADORE this series. Every single book is full of action, gore, laughs, fun banter, and hot sex. These books are everything I could ever want in a paranormal romance read. And after 10 books, you'd think they'd start getting stale. But NO. This is one of a few rare authors who seems to be able to keep her books/characters fresh even after the number of books in the series hits the double digits.
Now, that said, I will admit that if you haven't read the series, this book won't stand on its own well. You COULD read it by itself, and everything that's happening would make sense to you, but you'd run into a LOT of characters that you don't know talking about stuff that happened in previous books that you weren't privy to, so if you're new to this series, I recommend starting with book 1, Darkness Dawns. Once you've read through the series (and trust me, once you start, you WILL read through every last book, because you won't be able to stop yourself), you'll be delighted when you get to THIS book and you get to see Roland and Marcus and Seth and Aidan and all your other favorite Immortal Guardians from books past. (But, note to author, the disturbing lack of Bastian, my personal Immortal Guardian book boyfriend, in this book was appalling! I hope that's corrected in the next installment. *stern frown-y face*)
Here's what you'll love about this book:
1. Nick is a GREAT hero. He's a badass on the battlefield, all about the heroine's pleasure in the bedroom, and a complete and total pussycat everywhere else. He's over 400 years old, so he has old time-y manners that are adorable, and he treats Kayla with nothing but the utmost respect at all times. He's not an asshat or a manwhore, and he never tries to push Kayla away "for her own good". Nick is a solid book boyfriend that I had zero complaints about.
2. Kayla is a strong heroine who never flakes out on Nick. She's shocked to find out that immortals and vampires and shapeshifters exist, but she's very logical and rational about the whole thing, and she loves Nick unconditionally. She also keeps a cool head under pressure, and is a great mom--so, there's really nothing bad I can say about Kayla as a heroine. (And if you've read a few of my reviews, you know that's a big deal, because I can almost ALWAYS find something to bitch about.)
3. Lots of action. There's no lagging plot in this or any Dianne Duvall book.
4. Sex scenes are spicy, but not so spicy that the book would be better classified as erotica. This is definitely a romance that contains a few hot, intimate, explicit scenes.
5. More than a couple of laugh-out-loud moments.
So, long-story-short, if you're a paranormal romance fan who hasn't read this series, well...this is your lucky day. You now have 10 great books just waiting to be downloaded onto your Kindle. You're welcome.
Does this book contribute to or help crush the romance stigma?
Crushes it. Absolutely CRUSHES it.
And if you, like me, have already read every book in this series, then you might want to try these: