Semi-Fated by Isabel Jordan
Publication date: 07/30/2021
Kindle Unlimited: Yes
Harper Hall and her band of magical misfits are BACK!!!!
Here's the scoop:
Plot overview: Adrianne (Riddick's daughter, Harper's stepdaughter) returns home (to Section 8, the government operation, run by Harper, that hunts down rogue demons) when she has a disturbing psychic vision of her own death. There, she has to deal with her unrequited crush on a demon (Gabriel) and an unknown enemy who wants her dead--all while trying to figure out how to stop her vision from coming true. Stuff happens, she ends up knocked into a hell dimension with Gabriel, and the two of them have to find their way home. Snarky awesomeness and romance ensures.
Trope bingo: Demons, psychics, vampire hybrids, action/adventure romance, found family
There's so much to love about this book and this series. So, let me know count just a few of the ways:
1. Humor and snarkiness and witty banter for DAYS. Every time a read a book in this series, I snort laugh at least once. This book was no different.
2. Just the right balance of danger and sexy times.
3. Strong heroines and the often befuddled alpha men who love them. Heroines in this series can take care of themselves, and often end up saving the heroes. I LOVE it when that happens. Spoiler alert: It's Adrianne who saves the day this time--not Gabriel. :)
4. Heroes who are alpha, but never alphaholes. I hate alphaholes. But the heroes in this series never act like that. They're tough and not always in tune with their emotions, but they always treat the heroines with respect and would give their lives to protect them (even though they can almost always protect themselves just fine). Gabriel was a PERFECT example of an alpha-but-never-alphahole hero.
5. Just enough world building. Look, I'm not generally a fan of super intricate world building. I'm the type of reader who prefers a character-driven story. But the books in this series have JUST the right amount of world building that I get a good picture of everything that's going on, without being bogged down in detail. As much as paranormal romance can be, though, this series is character driven, I'd say. The world building never overshadows the great characters.
So...why are you still reading this review? Get thee to Amazon and pick up this book and this series today! You won't regret it.
If you're new to this series, here's the reading order:
Full disclosure: I received an ARC which in no way impacted my review.
Does this book contribute to or help crush the romance stigma?
This one is stigma free. No rehab needed.
Leave a Reply.
Online Writer's Resources
ROMANCE AUTHOR SERVICES
Romance novel blurb help
Romance Remedy program
Romance author services